“Every year in England, thousands of children leave primary school without the confidence and fluency in reading what they need. The impact on their learning, life chances and engagement with reading is significant.” (Read on, get on)
The workshop is to support early years staff in encouraging children to want to engage with books, to look at strategies to support early reading and literacy, to make reading fun within the childcare environment through reading spaces which appeal to the children, and resources which spark their interest.
The course aims and outcomes are detailed below. Aim To look at why children are not engaging with books, and the impact on future learning and development and develop strategies to support children’s interests in books Learning outcomes
- Have an overview of National Strategies, documentation and data relating to children and reading
- Identify barriers which do not support children reading, and review strategies to overcome
- Recognise the importance of reading spaces and critique their own reading areas.
- Discuss what makes good reading resources
- Share and gain ideas to make reading fun for staff and children